View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 10:35 PM   #12
nvnvgirl
Lovin' to the MAX!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna2191 View Post
Reallly? That is awesome. Our hospital here out in town is pretty bad, it has really bad reputation and is very small.
I think I'm fairly close to you~ there's a couple of hospitals around here and I know you'd have experience if you went thru the military (and it would probably be really good experience too, which would make you more desireable as a potential employee), but honestly, if you worked at almost any decent hospital and really worked on honing your skills and learning as much as you can, you're going to be able to go almost anywhere and find a decent job after a year or so.

And the very best advice I would give to anyone who graduates from nursing school, if they didn't train at one of the larger teaching hospitals (meaning medical schools), is to either try to get a job at one or work wherever they'll hire you for a year and then get a job at one. If I'd stayed where I started out, I'd probably have been just a typical small town floor nurse. Working at a teaching hospital, I learned so much and because of that, no matter where I went, and no matter what job I applied for, I got. It's amazing that even when there isn't a nursing shortage, if you've got good skills and knowledge, you can pretty much write your own ticket anywhere.

I'll be interested in what the recruiter has to say to you. It's a big decision, and with the way things are in the world right now, it's really hard to say what's going to happen esp. with a new president. So, I definitely don't blame you for being a little worried about it. And needing health care is a big concern, esp. when you've got a child. What does your dh do, if you don't mind me asking? I know jobs arent' plentiful to begin with, but do you think he'll have a real problem finding one with health care?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!