View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #17
TeresaM
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaknnana View Post
Does anyone have trouble getting your dog to "COME" to you?? Lily will not let you pick her up hardly ever when you try to get her to come to you she runs from you no matter what!! Inside same as outside!! I have tried everything from treats to yelling to "crazy"!!! She is 6 months old now and she will not come to you and let you pick her up at all??? I have worked with her more than any dog I have ever had and she seems the hardest to do anything with?? STUBBORN!!!!lol
Come is one of Gracie's hardest things to do too. I got her when she was 3 months old and she quickly learned what I wanted from her when I said "Come here." It is hysterical to watch her thought process. I'll say "Come here." She'll be like, "Ok, momma." take a step then cock her head to the side, turn and go the other way. Little stinker!! I'll call after her, she'll turn around, look at me, bark and squat down on her front legs inviting me to just try and get her. Cheeky little thing! She knows what I want, she absolutely understands the command, but right now it's just not going to happen. She's 7 months old, I figure with her, this is something that is just going to take a little longer to happen. She will come sometimes, I know she understands what I want, it's just not a fight I'm willing to wage at this point. Everything is an adventure with this one and Tag is one of her favorite things to do.

As for the picking up part. Could it be that she doesn't feel secure when you lift her off the ground? Gracie doesn't like for me to bend over and pick up something if I'm holding her. I think it must feel like we are falling to her, even tho I have a firm hold on her. I'd try using both hands firmly to hold her and slowly lift her up. Then securely hold her next to you. It must feel strange to suddenly have the ground rush away. Even tho we understand whats going on, it could be her perception is that she is suddenly not 'safe' any more.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!