View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
nikkik187
Yorkie Yakker

Default Advice please...

Ok, so Boston had his first night of puppy class tonight and it did not go so well. But let me give you a little background first.

Boston is 5 months old now. Ever since the day he came home he has been around other dogs. We have TONS of dogs in the neighborhood that just hang out at our house. The little man has never had a problem with any dog. He also has been fine at the pet store (i take him once a week) and also at the vet. In fact, 15 min. before his class, he met a dog in the previous class and was fine with him. Okay...so this is what happened...

Puppy class started and our trainer told us to drop the leashes and let the pups meet each other. There are two other small dogs and a 20-ish lbs. pit bull mix. My little man is still the smallest in his class. Well what happened was the little guy was scared at first, but did not try to hide behind me. The other dogs came over to him and sniffed him, he was scared but he let them. After about 2 min. the pups started to play with each other. The started to jump around, but the little man was still a little scared. Then, all three dogs went over to him and i believe the pit bull was sniffing his and the other two where jumping on him to play (he was backed up against the wall) and Boston SNAPED. He started growling, barking, showing his teeth, and biting if the other dogs even came NEAR him. Also, the whole rest of the class he would not go near any of the other dogs. He tried to hide behind me all night. I was so embarrased. The first thing the trainer said was "You have to bring him around dogs." Then I got so upset because I DO! The other dog owners where shooting me dirty looks. Its worse when you 21 and everyone else in the class is older. I feel like they think my dog is psycho and im a bad momma because im young. However, I felt better once the class started and Boston was the only one paying attention/getting the tricks.

Now my problem is is that I dont know what to do, or what caused this. My thoughts are...
1)- He does have an "alpha dog" issue.
2)- He was nervous.
3)- He wasnt used to metting for dogs at once.

Im sorry this is so long, but can someone PLEASE help give me advice please? Tell me what I am doing wrong and how I can fix this? Thank you
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!