View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #12
txshopper73
Donating YT 14K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
I have a rust and black male. He has more of a cotton coat but when it grows it is beautiful. I'm just confused because he doesn't tangle but I do know its not a silk coat. Is there another type of coat out there? Since I cut his hair its starting to come in nice. I also keep up with his coat as far as using good shampoos & conditioners, leave in conditioners and shine sprays. Gabby on the other hand has a silky coat and I can definately see the difference. She hardly needs anything on her coat..it just flows like silk sheets.

I love the dark color yorkies. I have the best of both worlds....one dark and my girls are light.
You sound like you definitiely take care of your dog's coat and kudos to you!

Cotton coats are more dense and grow a lot faster than your silk coats. Now, I am NOT an expert...just have read a lot and have spoken to many people, but it is to my understanding that you generally have 3 classes of coats...Cotton or wooly, silk, and wirery (typically your red leg yorkie).

All coats come in different degrees and shades. Some may be a true (cotton, silk or wire) while others are modified or blended.

To me, a cotton coat feels like rabbit's fur...extremely soft to the touch and has a warm feel. Silk feels cool to the touch and reminds me a lot of human hair. I've never touched a red leg (wire coat) so I couldn't tell you how it feels to me.

One thing that I swear by...because of speaking to long time seasoned breeders...but I believe in the eye shine...it's the glow that you get back from the eyes after taking a picture.

Red/amber/orange eye shine signifies (to me) a cotton/modified coat. Green or blue green signifies (to me) a silk coat.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!