View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
leipshen
Senior Yorkie Talker

Hi

It does sound like your little Yorkie has some health issue that is more than depression. I know the anguish that this makes you feel, these little dogs have a way of stealing our heart and souls. I have a few important suggestions for you while you are waiting to take her to the vet this weekend.

first, IT IS IMPERATIVE that you have Nutri-cal on hand and give it to her at least twice a day ( suggested amount) . this is so important, as these tiny dogs can go down hill very fast and crash. Even though she is past her puppy age, she can still get Hypoglycemia if her sugar falls too low.

How much does Bruiser weigh??

It is also IMPERATIVE that you make sure she stays hydrated. I suggest that you go and buy Pedilyte ( baby section at store). this will be excellent for maintaining her electrolytes and keeping her better hydrated. I would do this right away!

Do not be tempted to offer her many different foods, in hopes that she will eat. They have very delicate digestive systems and this could add to her distress in a big way. As has already been suggested, you should boil some skinless chicken, mix it with rice and see if she will eat this. another good possibility is to buy the strained meat (baby food) chicken or turkey, even the beef will be alright. This will be easy for her to lick up and they seem to really like it. It is so important that she have calories.

Watch her very closely this weekend and if she appears to be declining...Take her to an emergency vet. I know that this can expensive, however, sometimes it is just necessary.

Over the weekend, and while you are waiting to get her to the vet, allow her plenty of rest. I would forgo the walks or any other outings until you can find out what the problem is. If you have plans this weekend, I would stay home. I know this sounds extreme, but it is better to be there with her in case she needs you.

Please don't wait to get her to the vet if she seems at all worse over the weekend. Make her appt right away after the holiday.

We all understand the love you have for little Bruiser. I hope this will help ..you will be able to at least feel as though you are helping while waiting on the vet!

Welcome to YT!! I don't know what I would do without all of these caring people!

Please keep us posted, we will be following to see how she is.

Patti
leipshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!