View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #14
JeanieK
Donating YT 12K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypeach View Post
I think I used to post her a long time ago, so maybe some of you will remember me. I have two Yorkie's; Gracie and Bella. We got Bella 3 years ago and things have never been that great between the two of them. But recently Gracie who is 6 has gotten more and more aggressive towards Bella. We cannot have any toys in the house because Gracie wants them all and will hurt Bella if she tries to get one. She also bites and goes after Bella if Bella barks to close to her. I think I have decided to surrender Gracie, but it's so hard because she is such a great dog in every other respect. But poor Bella is afraid of everything, she runs away from people including me and when she does try to show affection she seem real uneasy about it. I'm so torn. Does anyone know if this behavior can be stopped, or will it just get worse.

I would have started a different thread for this, but I don't know how

The situation can be corrected. Gracie thinks she is the pack leader. You need to let her know that you are the boss and not her. i also have one that will try to steal and hoard toys. When i catch her doing this, I take the toy and lay it in front of me, if she goes for it, i snap at her just like she does to the other dogs. I show my teeth and i use my hand like a mouth to nip her on the neck. she is not allowed to have the toy until i hand it to her and then she has to take it very gently.

Doing that exercise will let her know that you are the boss and everything is yours.

Also, don't pick the other one up and comfort her when she is cowering, that only reinforces that behavior. Only give affection when the dog is calm.
JeanieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!