Thread: Shy yorkie
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 12:05 AM   #8
leipshen
Senior Yorkie Talker

I am thinking that perhaps you are trying too hard. What I mean is that (as you probably know) Yorkies are highly sensitive and intuitive to our every feeling. They know when you are feeling something strongly, yet, someetimes they can't interpet exactly what you are thinking. You could be scaring her simply by focusing on her , intently and expectantly to see how she will react to you. She will pick up on your dismay at her being shy of you, this will scare her.

My "biscuit was a nervous, shy, little guy at first. I love him so deeply and I would pre-anticipate his every move. i watched him closley to make sure he was alright, eating Ok, pooping OK, the intense attention, mixed with my constant concern for him only made him more afraid. When i noticed that he was acting more comfortable when a friend would walk in I realized that it was not so much his problem as it was mine.

I relaxed, I would play with my other dogs , on the floor, and I just ignored him if he was hesitant. He slowly started coming up and I would casually glimpse at him and say sweet things but then I would focus on the others. He would see that the other dogs were getting all kinds of attention, fun and treats and soon he wanted me to pay attention to him. I would a little at a time. I would always act casual . another thing to remember...if you are upset when doing the bath, or brushing, because you are worrying that she will not like you, she will feel this upset and start to act just the way you are worried about. Be confident, happy and fun when giving her a bath, letting her know that you are having fun. She will start to feel secure with you and then you two will bond.

"Biscuit" and I are inseperable! I love him sooo much and he is a confident , loving baby. Yet, still if I am worried about him, and start to look at him too much he will get shaky and act scared. I then pick up a toy and divert the attention and he immediately forgets about it.

I know it sounds crazy but you might try this.

Patti
leipshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!