View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 04:14 AM   #16
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas-rn View Post
Right now just the chicken and rice. The vet will recheck him in a couple of weeks and we'll see where we go from there. He is also getting a medication to improve his circulation that is being compounded from a local pharmacy (A$60 a month). But as I said in my original post - he has done a complete turnaround. I was very afraid we were going to lose him when he first got sick. Exactly what is going on is still a little bit of a mystery, but we are going to keep going with the chicken and rice and the Denosyl. I'll let you know what the next round of lab tests shows. I'm praying and optimistic!
That is kind of surprising that the vet would tell you to just feed hoemcooked without supplementing. If you feed homecooked for more than a few weeks, skipping supplementation isn't really an option. It could lead to deficiencies. Calcium and the calcium phosphorus ratio would be my first concern because dogs require tons of it and a diet without supplements can't meet their needs.

I homecook for Ellie also.
I think it is a great way to go but I hired a nutritionist for her.
There are also recipes sold online and in books that might be right for your pup.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!