Thread: 7lb Yorkie
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbam View Post
Good luck on your decision.

I'm confused on the floppy ear comment above. I haven't worried about shaving LuLu's ears or taping them. I saw another thread that many people had Yorkie's with floppy ears. This post made it sound like a bad thing. Should I shave or tape her ears? I was thinking they would be OK even if they were floppy. She is a pet only, no shows. Of course, I think she's perfect
The standard calls for the ears to carried erect.

Yorkshire Terrier Club of America Official Breed Standard

A potential puppy buyer can tell a lot about a breeder by how close to the standard the puppies are. My point to the OP was that a puppy larger than the standard and with floppy ears is a red flag that the breeder may not be breeding responsibly. Health testing is a very important part of being a responsible breeder.

It is buyer beware when buying a purebred dog since all breeds are prone to certain inherited conditions. You must carefully screen breeders to make sure they are doing everything possible to make sure their puppies are free from genetic "time bombs". Poorly bred purebred dogs can cost you a fortune in vet bills and break your heart.
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!