View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
bonnielynn
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Firsr experience with a groomer. GRRR...is this normal?

Atticus had an appt for his first grooming today. I was nervous (perhaps because of my own bad haircut experiences) so I went to place recommended to me, a place that supposedly specializes in toy breeds. When I dropped Atticus off at 10am I asked when he would be done. The young girl behind the counter said, Well, we have a lot of dogs here right now so it will be 4 hours". I expressed concern about the length of time and she said that often they were done sooner and that I would get a call. I told her that in that case I would not go home but do some work at a nearby coffee shop. (I live about 35 min from the groomer and had brought work with me). She took down instructions as to what I wanted done and I left. I called the groomer soon after leaving and asked if they provided water. I was concerned because Atticus gets dehydrated if he goes too long without water and I was nervous. They assured me that he would be given water. (and maybe they did)

After 4 hours of working in the coffee shop, I called to see if Atticus was ready to be picked up. The girl on the other end of the phone informed me that he was NEXT to be on the cutting table. ME: you haven't started yet? HER: no, but he is next. he'll be done around 3:30. ME: It takes and hour and 1/2? HER: well, yes, it's a delicate process. ME: Don't bother cutting him. I can't wait another hour and 1/2. HER: Are you sure? ME: Yes. HER: well, he's been shampooed and blown and nails done... ME: I'll pay you for what you've done and I'll be there to pick him up soon.

I was very calm and polite.

I arrived 15 minutes later. The girl behind the counter told me to wait one minute and disappeared. Behind the swinging door, I heard her say, "Do you want to talk to her?" The young girl re-emerged and told me that Atticus would be right out and that he did get a little bit cut since I called. 5 minutes later, out comes a lady who tells me that she was sent by the owner to tell me that she is sorry and that if (and they hope I will) return again to ask for Wendy or Susan and Atticus will be in and out, that the groomer Atticus had today is only part-time and slow (thanks for that info!). I told her that I would not be returning. Another 5 minutes later, a different lady comes out with a trimmed up Atticus. She apologized and told me that she did not know I was on a tight time schedule. She says she was able to give him a proper cut anyway. I just nodded and took my very-happy-to-see-me baby.

Then the girl behind the counter said, "We are only going to charge you $38.00." I asked how much it would normally be. She said $45.00. I paid and left. Once in the car, I got a better look at Atticus who had short crop on the top of his head and a long flowing beard like Gandalf. It wasn't working for me. I took him back and said, "Since I'm paying $38.00 could you please take off a couple of inches off of his chin?" They did so.

Shortly after leaving, Atticus started softly crying. I offered him a cup of water that I had in the car. He WAS SOO THIRSTY!!

Sorry this is so long. I just needed to vent.
I am so disillusioned.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!