Thread: Breeding Info
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2005, 10:52 PM   #10
Snow Yorkies
Biewer Passionate
Donating Member

One thing I didn't read up to this point or I might have missed. This is a big commitment to your breeding dogs and to the pups. What I mean it is a 24/7 365 days. I don't leave my females 10 days before they are due to whelp some will come early, then I don't leave them for two weeks after the pups are born. (My husband is a trooper and gives me a lot of support.) You will experience many sleepless nights, females whelping in the middle of the nite, possiblity of supplemental feedings, ect... Not to mention there is a occasional heartbreak if you lose a pup or a litter and the possiblity of your female. No book will teach you this, but it is still very important to read as much litature as possible. If there is a breeder in your area see if that person would mind letting you experience the birthing process with them. How to correctly pull a pup if you have to. If you need to inject oxitocin (sp?) knowing the right time to do this and if you should do this, when there is complications with the labor process. I cut the billy and do all the cleaning of the pups. So you need to know where to cut and what you do as you clean the pup, making sure the lungs are clear of fluid. There are a lot of things that important to breeding and whelping litters.. almost to many things to list. I am very glad you are researching before taking the pludge. I want to you to know that it can be very rewarding too. When all the pups arrive and watching them grow and experience. When the mothers are teaching the pups to play, ect... By the time 12 weeks arrives it is hard to detach yourself from the pups as they go to their new homes. Mine usually leave with a long explaination of their personalities, likes and dislikes, ect... not to mention a tear or two, this part isn't easy you will get attached....
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!