View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 11:37 PM   #13
jadecomputergal
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Omg I'm shocked too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
Are. You. Serious. ???? Your vet actually SAID THIS? If so, I would run as fast as you possibly can from this vet, and never look back. I am so beyond shocked, I hardly have words.

Dogs are carnivores. They need meat to survive, thrive and to have proper nutrition for their basic bodily functions.

Seriously - I am scared for you if you place your dog's health in this vet's care. If he/she made that statement above - I would never let them see my dog again - that statement is ludicrous and dangerous.

I'm really glad you're here at YT - so you can learn about nutrition and ingredients yourself. The more you're here, you'll see what I mean.
I'm completely baffled about a vet talking about primarily vegetarian diets for a dog. I'm more baffled about that than I am about a vet recommending something like Purina, a sub-standard, off-the-shelf food.

If it's a Yorkie, his breed is not "special." (Everyone else please hear me out before you start throwing things at me.)

Yorkies are the one of the most widely bred and owned dogs in this country. They're "special" to us because we own them, but they're certainly not uncommon, and they're carnivores like any other canine.

Respiratory infections aren't "common" in Yorkies. I'm not sure from what you're saying if he had Bordetella or an allergic reaction. It could be either, but whichever it was, I very strongly agree with Wylie that you should find a new vet.

As far as hygiene goes, we trim ours under their tails. We don't have problems with diarrhea other than with one of ours, but that's because of a medication she's on for a chronic illness. We have a routine with a sticker on our wall calendar of HeartGard/FrontLine/bathing/etc. The bathing usually includes trimming bangs, nails, butt hairs. I'm not sure how groomers do this, but my DH and I do it together. We won't get scissors near the dogs without one of us holding them and the other doing the trimming, whether it's the face or the butt. They tend to wiggle, so it's much less stressful for all of us if we have one person holding the dog and the other doing trimming, even with the blunt scissors.
jadecomputergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!