View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
yorkiekist
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C C Kent View Post
It doesn't have to be. It's PC and acceptable to bash old time values, heck any kind of values, but those values gave us a whole different set of problems...like kids chewing gum in class. Nowadays we're happy if they come to class unarmed. We allow the kids to come to school with piercings, tattoos, their pants below their butt, purple hair, (anyone I haven't offended yet?) and wearing "colors". The kids don't fear anyone at the school, and they don't respect anyone....even themselves. Every kid needs to rebel, if the rules are almost non-existent it takes a much more obvious rebellion to get someone's attention. With tight structure and high expectations...they'll settle for leaving their shoes untied if that's all they can get away with.

I think school choice and competition between schools for each student is the answer. I'm not trying to offend teachers...I love you guys and I know you're doing your best. But if I had a voucher that would allow me to take my boy to a school where he is safe, unless he crosses a teacher, I would use it. If the government schools had to compete with schools that could discipline, maybe discipline would be brought back to the government schools out of sheer competitive necessity. I don't care why it's brought back...as long as it's brought back.
I love all of your posts on this!! My Mom was a school teacher and retired in 1977 after 20 years. Even back then, she said it was getting way out of hand and you could not discipline the kids. She was glad to retire.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!