View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 03:19 AM   #11
greyacresmom
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertChildAZ View Post
You say you never leave your yorkies alone with your pits. If you have such confidence in the breed, then why are you taking that kind of precaution? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the precaution. I know first hand the two faces of pits. My sister has the most gentle pit named Trinity. Trinity is very loving and well-bred. Treated very humanely in a loving home since she was a puppy. I never saw aggression in her until she became pregnant and birthed her first (and last) litter. There was only one episode of aggression with the sire after the puppies were born. But the fact is, the way she was raised, she should not have been like that.

I have also been chased down and nearly mauled by a pit bull (that was tethered to a 75 foot chain) while I was househunting. I was alone and have no doubts that had that chain not yanked that dog back (immediately as I slid on the gravel while it was ferociously barking and chasing me and was literally 2 inches from my ass), I would not be alive today. Or I would have been seriously disfigured.

On a different occassion, I also had to listen as the pitbull next door mauled and chewed a neighborhood dog in the alleyway behind my house. He had jumped the fence and attacked the innocent dog. I called the police when I heard the victim dog's cries and wails. The police arrived and had to stun gun the pitbull twice before they could unlock his jaws from the other poor dog who was just roaming the neighborhood alleyways. You NEVER EVER want to hear the sound of a pit tearing the flesh of another dog. It's gruesome. That sound still haunts me. And you certainly don't want it to be your beloved yorkie's flesh.

My point is, pitbulls are unpredictable. Why people continue to take a chance with that unpredictability is beyond me.
Arn't all animals unpredictable? That is why they are animals. As for large animals (Dogs) with yorkies...I have 6 greyhounds and a German Shep. that all live in harmony with Max the yorkie. But i do leave Max crated when I am not home and the all the others are muzzled. I have a PACK...and because I have a pack I must do what needs to be done to keep all safe. There is also a Jack Russel here now...anyway the "littles" are crated so they don't get stepped on.

People who take good care of their dogs...know their dogs. You learn to expect the unexpected. as a good dog owner should. That is why there are leash laws and such. I had to buy Max from a oooohhh....pet store..... because no breeder thought I knew my Greys well enough to buy or rescue one.

To those that have pittys...you are a stonger person than I...that is why I like the Greys...they are done working and just want to retire...not a working dog at all.......almost cat like......all dogs need work to make them good dogs...a good dog is a tired dog....and if you can manage a pitt...well I am proud of you!!

Last edited by greyacresmom; 08-17-2008 at 03:20 AM.
greyacresmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!