View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
wemple2
Wee Winston Wiggles
Donating Member

Winston is 4 years old...has had hypoglycemia/seizures for a couple years now. He is not one to miss a meal, as a matter of fact he now eats 4 times a day...with snacks in between to keep his sugar level up. There was talk from my vet that he may have an insulinoma, so I took him to an internist...she felt it was not an insulinoma...she said wrong breed...wrong age. But his glucose levels were dangerously low...in the 20's and 30's, why? I still have no idea. I was told to feed frequent small meals throughout the day...poke his little ear to check his blood sugar at the very first sign of a seizure...I have not yet been able to make myself do this, as all I am worried about is getting NutriCal in him...and stopping the seizure. I do confine him to the kitchen when he is home alone...to conserve energy/sugar. Otherwise he would be running around the house constantly looking out the windows and getting no rest. I am terrified that something will happen to him when we are not home to prevent it. He does, still on occasion have an episode, maybe once a month or so...but not nearly as frequent as he use to.
I sure hope your baby is okay...but you may never really know what causes it. Just make sure to feed frequent small meals and try your best to conserve his energy to keep his glucose level up. Let me know what you do find out about your little guy. How much does he weigh? Mine is not tiny and never really was...he's about 7.5 pounds now, but he is on a special prescription food with more carbohydrates, less fat and protein. He was getting kind of chunky, up to 9 pounds because he was eating so often, I was worried about other health problems associated with being over weight. Hopefully we have now found a happy medium and he seems content. Good luck, hope he feels 100% better in no time and that there really is nothing seriously wrong with him.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!