View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 08:15 AM   #9
meli
Yorkie Talker

On my male dogs I get rid of as much hair as possible on the penis. Now my neighbors think some strange thoughts when I do this because it looks kind of strange when they see me with a dog on its back and I am carefully trimming and shaving his man parts but after having pulled strange things out of the end of my Cairn's penis I have learned to get rid of those end hairs. The end hairs will collect loads of dirt and bacteria so they are best gotten rid of as much as possible from the opening of that area. Not an easy job if you have a squirmmy guy. I shave (not a bare shin shave but a close shave) about an inch on the Yorkie in front or the penis to avoid the spray. On some males, it helps to keep the inside of the back legs a little shorter if they are squatters or not enthusiastic hikers. This gives them less hair to get in the way. You don't have to go crazy with the trimming either. You can just make a small patch with the clippers on the belly that doesn't go from side to side; just in the front of the offending area if you know what I mean. Use thinning shears to trim the inside of the back legs and the sides of the belly if that is what you have to do but I rarely have to do the belly sides. I do shave the entire shaft bare. Sides, front and all. It doesn't get itchy for them and I find that they are often more comfortable. It is very clean and much easier to keep clean.

This process needs to be repeated much less often than just a trimmimg which we all appreciate here!

Btw, I also trim my females as bare as possible in the vulva area. It keeps bacteria out and prevents UTI. I had a Vet tell me it is the best thing I can do for a female. I have a Rottie who has recurrent UTI problems from early spay and she HAS to be kept clean and hair free back there to help her condition. I just keep all of my animals this way since it takes only a few minutes once you figure out the easiest way to do it. Also no0 one can tell they are trimmed in that are unless they flip them over and look. It doesn't affect their appearance.
meli is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!