View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
aarnold808
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champster00 View Post
No matter how many times we take him outside he won't go! He'll come back in and have an accident 5 mins later. We have tried the crate training thing were you put them but in their crate and take them out again in 15 mins till they go...but he was spending almost the WHOLE day in the crate! And this resulted in he being up half the night because he didn't wear off any energy...and we just can't have that! We've tried the scented spray stuff it worked for a day or two, but now it just doesn't phase him! Any suggestions? Obviously what we are doing isn't working!

I know when Teddy wouldn't go outside, it's just I wasn't leaving him out long enough. I would wait until I fed him (because dogs normally like to poop right after they eat) and I would sit and sit and sit outside with him until he pooped. Because he will hold it, if he's used to going inside. So, sometimes it would be a few hours, but then he wouldn't be able to hold it any longer and would go outside to poop. Of course, after did his business I would scream and jump up and down and he was sooo happy. I did this every day, and soon I wasn't spending as much time outside and now he will sit by the door when he's ready to go out. Also, try to use phrases like "potty? poop" to let him know that's what you want him to do. For Teddy, I ask him "do you want to go tinkle?" And his ears will perk up and he will run to the door. He associates "tinkle" with both pee and poop unfortunately, and as a result he will run to the door because he knows he will get to go outside to go to the bathroom. Soon, it will get to the point where they don't like to go inside. Just some helpful hints. I'm sure others will chime in with more information. Good luck!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!