View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
bellasmomok
♥ love my girls!! ♥
Donating Member

Default Differences in Recommended Feeding Guidelines...

Okay, after reading some information on the Wellness website, I think I may have figured out why some dog foods require a greater amount (cups) per day--something about weight (although, the adult recommended amounts for the same dog are all pretty close, so maybe it doesn't make much sense...)

Anyway, my question is this....I'm currently switching my Bella over from PurinaOne Puppy to Wellness, but the feeding guidelines right now say to feed a 3-4 mo. old (she turned 4 mo. old yesterday) who is 3 lbs. 1 1/4 c.!!!! With the PurinaOne (which I realize NOW wasn't a good choice) I only gave her 1/4 c. (and was getting ready to up it to 1/3 c.) And she could barely eat all of that! I feed her meals, but had started just leaving it, because she would eat a little for breakfast, maybe nothing at all for lunch, and then pick a tiny bit at dinnertime, but then close to an hour or less before bedtime was when she'd eat most if not all of what was left if I left it out. I was afraid to feed meals when she wasn't eating at mealtimes. Today we're starting mealtimes again, so we'll see how that goes. And she does seem to like the Wellness, but she liked the PurinaOne a lot in the beginning too (the breeder had her on Eukanuba) and would eat all of it then, and in meals too!

Even with mixing 1/2 PurinaOne and 1/2 Wellness, she doesn't eat all of what I give her over the whole day (which I'm giving 1/4 c. P.O. and 1/4 c. Wellness because I have no idea how you gradually mix food with unequal feeding guidelines??) There was about 1/4 c. left yesterday when we went to bed, so she only ate about 1/4 c. I don't think she'll ever eat 1 1/4 c. of food like the Wellness bag suggests! (Related question: How is a baby Yorkie supposed to eat 1 1/4 c. of food a day but the same adult Yorkie only about 1/2 c. a day?? That doesn't make sense to me at all!)

Thanks in advance for any input!!
bellasmomok is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!