View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
YorkieSue
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default SIBO, Tylan . probiotics and diet

Hi all,
It is certainly not common among Yorkies or small dogs but my little Shih-Tzu was diagnosed with Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth--finally a diagnosis after two zillion tests and pills. I was beside myself.

Anyway, Henry is now on a prescription diet(hate this), Tylan Long Term (hate this too but it's miraculous stuff it seems)
, metamucil and finally a light probiotic. Has anyone ever dealt with bacterial overgrowth with their dogs? It's nasty business and usually causes chronic diarrhea (Henry had diarrhea for six months while EVERYONE tried to figure out what was wrong with him); anyway, finally an internist in Westchester
did yet another panel of blood work looking for things that no ordinary vet would look for and lo and behold she discovered Henry's overgrowth. His poops turned almost normal overnight with the Tylan and fiber and are still that way EXCEPT when I try to get him off the Tylan. The runny diarrhea returns IMMEDIATELY as the internist said it might. Seems like this is exactly what happens in 99.9% of the dogs with SIBO. I am going to seek a nutritionist in hopes of balancing his gut bacteria with probiotics and digestive enzymes and getting him on a diet that is nutritious. It is killing me to give him the z/d diet and I think he may be ready for something better.

Anyone have any experience with SIBO? Thanks.

If you want to you can write to me at DazzlinDaawg@aol.com as it is faster and more direct. thanks again, YorkieSue and Crew
YorkieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!