View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
medusa512
YT 500 Club Member

you are going to have to do it in periods of time. for example, put her 'away' and leave the house. go for 10 minutes.

come back like nothing happened. don't fuss! later, do it again, or the next day or whatever, and then return. eventually, she'll chill out.

i've heard that if you make a big fuss when you leave and a big fuss when you return that makes it worse. my husband does this with his lab, but she's ancient (14) and was around before i was.

when i leave we put Edgar in the hallway with a baby gate and i leave.
when i come home i put my stuff (purse, shoes, mail) away and ignore him until i'm ready to let him out.

generally he's ready to potty and then eat, so i think we do ok.

don't always go to her when she panics.

try to leave her something that smells like you (a blanket, towel, pillowcase you've slept with for a few days) so she doesn't feel all alone.

there are great puzzle toys also, that keep them busy while you're gone. ...they may not even realize you've been gone all day!!

one of my friends leaves a clock radio on for noise/people. i'm not sure if this helps.

ps--if you are honest with the neighbors that you are trying to train her they may be more sympathetic than you think. just don't do it at 4 in the morning
medusa512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!