View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
yorkiekist
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
I always recommend the AKC. Even if you're not breeding or showing don't you want a healthy pet that looks like a Yorkie? I got Joey from a show breeder, not because I wanted a fancy dog, but because I wanted to find a breeder whose program I respected. She is truly interested in bettering the breed, she stands behind her dogs 100%. Many show breeders prices are more affordable than most people realize, as they are more interested in finding the right homes for their dogs, than making a profit. I recommend you look at the YTCA website for referral of breeders in your area that sell healthy quality dogs that make great pets. The YTCA is the parent club of the AKC and sets the standard for yorkies. However, don't hold their beauty against them, a quality breeder also wants to ensure that the line they are developing doesn't have genetic defects. Yorkshire Terrier Club of America About The Club. I also registered Joey with the AKC, because they are the only registry that does routine unannounced kennel inspections and DNA testing. I wanted to show support to them as well because I believe in what they are trying to accomplish. Please make sure any breeder you choose does health screening, some problems don't present themselves till after 2 years of age, and by then the dog has had several litters. If you read the Sick Forum, you'll find that a cheap dog is no bargain in the long run.
Great advice and information!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!