View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #14
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C C Kent View Post
In our state you have to register with USDA if you are going to sell to brokers or to pet stores, regardless of how many breeders you have or litters you produce per year.

USDA does do random inspection but it's centered around the housing and treatment of the animals. A USDA inspector doesn't know anything about breeding for type or health or overall quality. You can be breeding dogs that won't see five years of age and they can't do anything about it as long as they are housed and cared for by USDA guidelines.

I feel for the OP because as you state you thought the ears were cute until you found out what they were supposed to look like. It's not uncommon to have purchased a puppy not knowing whether it was a quality puppy or not.
Oh, I wasn't commenting on the OP's choice. I was just answering the question presented. If it wasn't for YorkieTalk I wouldn't have had a clue on what to look for in breeders, this is just not something most people discuss. I use to think anyone could breed anything as long as the two dogs "seemed" healthy. Sometimes a bad experience helps you become an advocate for good breeding. Many of the members here got their first dogs from Pet Stores and poor breeders, but we have now learned what to look for when choosing a good breeder, and hopefully can help others. To me, it's not so much about what the dog looks like, for example, if his ears are pointed or not, it's about supporting breeders who truly believe in bettering the breed.

Join today and remove this ad!