Thread: Rabies shot
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 09:54 PM   #6
mommadog
YorkieTalk Newbie!

I've worked at a vet this last 2 and 1/2 years, doing both grooming and vet tech. work. I'm half way through the vet tech course to get my certificate. So I might be able to help. Rabies is required in the state of CA and is suppose to be given at 4 months, boosted in a year, then depending on the rabies shot boosted again every 2 to 3 years. But you can wait on the first shot if your dog is little. It is not uncommon for puppies, and dogs to have a reaction to any kind of shot. But usually this reaction is only a tiny beebee sized bump where the shot was given and goes away without having to do anything. Only in serve cases do they develop an abscess at the site (which I've never seen). If this happens the vet would give you some antibiotics. If your puppy has had all of her puppy shots and there was no reaction I wouldn't be to worried about the rabies shot. I personally have two girls that at 2 and 3 and are both under 3 pounds and I have never had a problem with any shot given. Hope this helped a little
mommadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!