View Single Post
Old 08-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #14
YorkieRose
No Longer a Member

Default breeding

This was meant to be ONE post, but for some reason I get cut off...

If you have an option to add this male to your breeding program, is this male from someone you trust..a mentor..? IS he from a reputable breeder..I do not think so since you are asking for advise here... that concerns me..not that you are asking for advise, but the fact you have not given any insight as to what the breeder says about your plans...of course that is your business, but it helps sort this out.
Since the breeder did a close inbreeding and is willing to sell for breeding, I pretty much write this breeder off...harsh, but breeding is such a serious undertaking, we have to be hard on people..there is little room for error...we are dealing with a living creature..we place these puppies with unsuspecting pet lovers who can wind up with a pack of problems, that cost them a bundle at the vets and break their hearts...

There was a time NO one heard of liver shunt..then there was a close inbreeding and we started seeing it in litters traced to this breeding..now we all know about liver shunt. I think LS could have been kept buried deep in the genes if it was not for inbreeding..it was forced out..is this good or bad..I say, bad..we could have gone a life time with out it ever popping up, right?

You might say that is good to inbreed and force it out, but the problem is this...many breeders will never share the genetic problems in their lines..so you buy a puppy thinking all is well, and you are later faced with problems...lt is nothing to try and correct..you avoid it by S/N dogs who produce it..it is foolish to inbreed to see if shunts are in the line..it produces so much suffering for dog and owner..not worth it..avoid it..and that goes for any disease IMO..

I have no desire to inbreed to see if there are bad bites, bad knees, bad anything in my Yorkies..avoid as much as you can by breeding sound dogs to other sound dogs...not too close, outcrossing when necessary to Yorkies of like type to preserve type...
I wish you good luck..and please for give my screaming...! The only thing I ever scream about is the breed...it is all about preserving the breed.

PS..thanks Vee..you understand me so well...LOL

Last edited by YorkieRose; 08-10-2008 at 02:12 PM.
YorkieRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!