View Single Post
Old 08-10-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

I have only inbred twice in my years of breeding. Once was a litter of beagles, we bred father to daughter and the puppies were beautiful. The other breeding was with my first Yorkie and we bred father to daughter and they produced some nice puppies and I kept a male from that breeding and he produced some pretty puppies over the years. Inbreeding can bring out all the good qualities or all the bad qualities of the dogs. It is best to really research your lines and know the faults of your dog before you attempt this. I know many show breeders inbreed but they have experience and knowledge about how to do it properly. Sometimes a male that is the product of inbreeding can be very valuable in a breeding program IF he has outstanding qualities that you want to pass on to your lines. I feel that a inbreed male would work best in breeding to totally unrelated or distantly related females. If you start inbreeding and line breeding too closely you can run into problems. You should really think ahead as to what your goals are for the future, figure out how many yorkies you might have in your breeding program and who would you breed this male to. You might realized that a totally unrelated male would work out better.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!