View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #14
AnaClaire
Senior Yorkie Talker

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunamand View Post
Hi AnaClaire - Darwin has the same problem right now. We've been putting in mometamex drops for 4 days, but I'm not sure it's getting any better...I feel like when I put in the drops, after massaging, and he shakes his head, the ointment just comes right back out the ear and makes the inside of his ear all greasy and the hair around his ear gets all greasy also. And then this afternoon, I noticed a red blister type thing forming in one of the crevaces of his ears maybe from the ointment collecting in his ear folds and not allowing it to dry? I cleaned it up with qtips, but it's still red.

The 1st day the vet put the medication in, and his ear smelled so much better that afternoon, but since I've been doing it for the past 3 days, his ear stink seems to have come back. What does this mean? Am I not doing it correctly?
ME too. Our vet gave us Mometamex also, and it is making Cookie's ears gross.. They are very greasy and I always want to clean them. I think you are doing it 100% correctly, today we went to the vet because since she prescribed the medicine, she said do it for 10 days. Well I did, and she STILL scratches, and they still stink. Not as bad, but they still bother her and smelly funky. I did the exact same thing you did, and that's what the vet said to do! 3-4 drops, massage them in, 10 days, still stinks still itchy. So today, I asked her what's the deal? So she did a swab and it turns out not only did Cookie STILL have a yeast infection, she also has ear mites.. Great.. So she gave Cookie an ear mite treatment, so that should get rid of them. She told me to keep on doing the Mometamex as long as needed. So I'm just gonna keep using it I guess! 3-4 drops every day. She said some dogs are just worse with yeast infections than others! But her advice was to keep doing the Mometamex. Maybe your puppy has ear mites also? I didn't know she did until she took another sample- the first time either they didn't catch it, or she didn't have it, because the first time we went they only saw yeast. No mites. This time, we have mites. So there's no telling! I'm just gonna keep using the drops until I see her stop scratching her ears I guess. I have about half a bottle left. But yuck I hate how it makes her ears greasy, like you said! I always try to rub them off, but its gross I'm ready for her to not have this anymore
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!