View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
AprilLove
My Three Hearts
Donating Member

Linda,
So sorry you are having problems with this! I think it is manageable though. I have 5 and have them on a twice a day feeding schedule. They each have their own bowl and each bowl is always put down in the same spot, so each furry has his or her own spot in the kitchen where their bowl goes. They all know because at feeding time, they are all standing in their own spots, lol.
AprilLove and Nappy have separate bowls, but in the same stand, so they are right next to each other when they eat and they go back and forth between each others bowls, (like you described with M & M) but I have watched them enough now, that I know they end up eating close to their needed amount. They are only 1/2 lb apart in weight. Rozi is still learning, but has her spot down, lol

Mimi is a lot smaller than Moose, so I would give her a bowl that is going to look full when you put her food in it. Same with Moose, give him a bowl that looks full when you have his amount in it. It may take him a little more time to get used to the idea of scheduled feedings, because he was free fed. But if you do it at about the same times every day, separate their bowls and give them about 15 to 20 minutes and pick up the bowls. I never leave the bowls down, all of mine have learned to eat it when it is there and they always get every last bit in their bowl) No one is starving, and this way I can monitor when someone is getting overweight, or loosing weight, or possible sick, etc. and adjust it accordingly
They didn't learn it overnight, and each time a new puppy comes, (like three times in the past 2 years, lol) it takes some time to train them not to go to every one elses bowl and try to gobble it all, lol. But they do learn if you're consistent with it.
You may want to stay with them when you feed them so you can monitor it, and correct if one is eating out of the wrong bowl. It will get better!
AprilLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!