View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 08:12 AM   #4
Ladylavender
YT 500 Club Member

I don't think you have to go back to square 1, but you have to be less liberal about her freedom. The #1 rule to follow: If you cannot monitor their activity, (making breakfast, getting ready for work, laundry, or any # of things that take your attention away from her) crate or confine them!

After I started giving mine some freedom, it was hard for me to go back to the crate/confine part, because she enjoyed being out so much. But after a couple of accidents, I had to decide to confine her or to watch her every step of the way. Sometimes I did choose to watch her continueously, because I did not want her to be confined due to my lazyiness, but it was hard because, I would have to get up from watching tv, follow her around or make sure she was with me when I went to the bathroom, ect.. (especially after a long day at work, all you want to do is relax!) But we are getting thru it and it is becoming easier everyday and she does not have to be watched that much anymore, but I still am very aware of when she needs to go potty and take her out regularly whether she asks to go or not. I will still confine (not crate) her, though, when I absolutely cannot give her any attention at all, like cooking dinner or taking a shower. (she has a penned area that she will not go potty in. this is a x-pened area that her crate is in and she has some how learned this is an extension of her crate)

I also believe there is something to be said about giving the puppy freedom to roam the house, while you are vigilintly watching them. (aside from the chewing and getting into everything in site issue) This gets them used to all areas of the house, they get their smells in these areas, they smell your smells in these areas, and they soon learn that all areas of the house is an extension of the "crate"/"den". But they have to live in these areas, play in these area and eat in these areas. So the sooner they get used to the entire house as their "den", the sooner they get housetrained. That is why it's so worth the effort to bite the bullet, be inconvenienced, watching them constantly, until they understand where the boundaries are. It is for a short time out of your life to have a great dog for the rest of your life.
Ladylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!