View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
jrsygal37
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladymom View Post
I couldn't disagree with this advice more.

Flipping a dog on its back is the Alpha Roll. It was started by the Monks of New Skete back in the 70's as a training technique. It's been misused over the years and the Monks finally came out and said that they never intended it to be used by casually by pet owners, but be reserved for only the most severe cases of aggression and then only done by a professional. It is considered outdated and dangerous today.

In the wild, the only time a dog is flipped on it's back is by an attacker to who trying to kill him by ripping open his belly. A dog will instinctively fight for this life when flipped on his back. It's a good way to get bitten. Rolling or flipping a dog over on its back will only make it more aggressive.

Please read these links:

Your Dream Dog » Blog Archive » Never Use an “Alpha Roll” on Your Dog (Trainer Causes Dog’s Death)

Alpha Roll - One Mistake When Working With Aggressive Dogs - Thoughts of a Professional Dog Trainer

About.com Dogs - Dog Training - Using the Alpha Roll - Alpha Rolling Your Dog

It is far more effective to use more modern training techniques like the Nothing in Life is Free program.

Nothing in Life is Free Gaining control of your dog humanely

Thanks for the links. I will read them. This Alpha Roll was taught to me by my vet. I assumed I was doing everything right. I'm always open to learning more and modern. Maybe, some of these links will help me with Jersey. She's 17 months old and we've had her from 10 weeks. Never had a problem. All of my Yorkies got along but Jersey has become very aggressive and attacking. I'm desperate. I love her and don't want to part with her but also terrified she will kill one of them. I've placed her up for adoption looking for a home with a semi retired/retired couple with no other pets and older or grown children. I cannot afford $3,000 - $5,000 for a behaviorilist that my vet has reccomended but also said may not help. She's a great dog, 5 lbs. spayed and healthy. I'm just at my wits end and heartbroken at the same time. I'm going to look at the links you posted. Thanks. Elaine
jrsygal37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!