View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsygal37 View Post
You need to show her you are the Alpha. She has an Alpha disposition. My Bella was like this as a baby but not this bad, but would growl when she did not want something done. What I did was flip her on her back and hold her down and tell her NO very firmly. I held her there until she completely submitted and stopped growling etc. Then I let her up and continued to do whatever it was she didn't like - her thing was brushing her or putting a sweater on her when we were going out. It took a bit but she stopped her nonsense. If you do not correct this now it will become a major issue as an adult and what you'll have is a holy terror. Elaine
I couldn't disagree with this advice more.

Flipping a dog on its back is the Alpha Roll. It was started by the Monks of New Skete back in the 70's as a training technique. It's been misused over the years and the Monks finally came out and said that they never intended it to be used by casually by pet owners, but be reserved for only the most severe cases of aggression and then only done by a professional. It is considered outdated and dangerous today.

In the wild, the only time a dog is flipped on it's back is by an attacker to who trying to kill him by ripping open his belly. A dog will instinctively fight for this life when flipped on his back. It's a good way to get bitten. Rolling or flipping a dog over on its back will only make it more aggressive.

Please read these links:

Your Dream Dog » Blog Archive » Never Use an “Alpha Roll” on Your Dog (Trainer Causes Dog’s Death)

Alpha Roll - One Mistake When Working With Aggressive Dogs - Thoughts of a Professional Dog Trainer

About.com Dogs - Dog Training - Using the Alpha Roll - Alpha Rolling Your Dog

It is far more effective to use more modern training techniques like the Nothing in Life is Free program.

Nothing in Life is Free Gaining control of your dog humanely
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!