View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
shionpower
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPeque View Post
What should the healthy consistency of a 13-wk-old baby's poop be? We had a bout of coccidia and giardia almost two weeks ago during which his bowel movements were completely liquid.

His antibiotic seems to have cleared most everything up, (according to the latest fecal analysis) although his poop is still pretty soft ... maybe the consistency of soft serve ice cream with an occasional solid chunk. (Sorry to connect the two in the same sentence). No mucus or blood anymore.

I have been feeding him Science Diet puppy kibble with boiled chicken and broth, and haven't changed his diet since I got him.

Should it be a little more solid by this point? I'm planning on switching him over to the prey diet, but haven't wanted to make any drastic changes until his digestive system is stabilized. I know coccidia and giardia can be hard to get rid of, and I'm wondering if he needs to stay on meds a bit longer.

Thanks and I apologize for posting this around lunch time.
heres some suggestions:
1) try "nutri-cal". They should sell in pet store and most vets carry this. looks It comes in a toothpaste shape, and comes out in a brown-gunkish thing) but have her lick it off (dime size) or put it on her nose. Shell have to lick it off. This will provide all the nutrients that her body needs. This will also make her poop more solid.

2) I only use Organic foods. Mixing hard and soft together. I notice the poop is more solid with organic. Plus i had a picky eater before. Of course you would first have to ween her off the current diet slowly. Perhaps adding more hard food n mix just a lil bit of soft will provide more solid poop (but thats just a suggestion).

3) puppies should be pooping about 3 times a day. thats the healthy version. Read that online.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!