Thread: Spay questions.
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
cole5772
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesskl View Post
cali was spayed & microchipped on the 18th. she's 6 mths old & weighs 3.1 lbs. sorry, i don't remember what type of pain meds they used, but she was given the gas anesthesia (p-something). we dropped her off @ her doctor's office @ 7:45am. she stayed all day & we were able to take her home anytime after 4pm. she couldn't have breakfast that morning, but could have h2o. we also chose to have her surgery on a friday, so we could be home w/ her during her first couple of days after. she recovered rather quickly in our opinion. real quiet & lazy on saturday, by sunday she was running around chasing her ball & big sister. she got her stitches out 10 days later & never had to wear a cone. she just licked her tummy- we weren't sure if she'd bite @ them. so glad she didn't!

couple of other things to give you a heads up on: she had trouble pooping the first day. she cried when she tried. it was also very hard little nuggets. she finally had a good, normal, no cry poop @ 2am sunday! yeah!
apparently it was how she reacted to the anesthesia. also we found the best way to pick her up was to her bum sitting in our one hand & her chest/legs in the other. i hope that makes sense! she'd cry out when when picked up the "normal way". she seemed more comfortable when the sitting/lifting action.

it's hard having your baby go through a surgery, but we love our girls' vet & knew she was in excellent care. hopefully i didn't babble too much! if i can answer any other questions, let me know! good luck!

oh! if your little one is 6 mths old, your vet should check her baby teeth & pull any s/he finds necessary. cali didn't lose any of hers! had to have them all pulled! they took a before/after picture for us & gave us her teeth!
Hi- thanks for the info- I thought it was very helpful! Why did they have to pull all of her teeth during her spay?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!