View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #10
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyXOXO View Post
Hi, I'm new to this site! I found it on my search for answers on how to keep my little pup calm/quiet to allow his hurt leg to heal.

Teddy is 11 week old, 2 lb, yorkie mix puppy. Last night he was laying next to me on my bed eating a bone. I got up to grab my laptop off my dresser (literally 2 feet away) and the 5 secs that my back was turned, Teddy managed to fall off my bed!!

As soon as he fell, he yelped and I picked him up. He seemed fine, and then I put him on the ground and that's when I noticed him starting to limp and favor his front right leg. I picked him up and moved his leg around to see if he would cry...nothing. He kept wanting to run around and play and jump around and this made me nervous (he's a VERY active and BRAVE doggie). So I kept him in his crate the rest of the night so he could rest.

In the morning he seemed to not be limping at all so I was happy about that. Then when I came home for lunch to let him out, he seemed to be limping again like he was the night before. This worried me so I immediately called the vet and brought him in to be seen. The vet checked him out and did a full range of motion with his leg and shoulder. He didn't flinch once or even really care what the vet was doing to him. The vet said she believes it is just a soft tissue injury (sprain) and since he isn't yelping or crying and has no problem putting some weight on it and running, that she doesn't even feel he needs meds.

She recommended I keep him as docile as possible (yeah right!!) How am I suppose to keep a hyperactive puppy like Teddy calm besides just keeping him in his crate? When I got home from work today, I tried to get him to just hang out and be calm with me, but all he wants to do is play and run around. This make me feel uncomfortable because I want him to get better.

The vet did say that if in the next 48 hours he gets worse or doesn't show any improvement, I should bring him in for xrays.

I just want him to rest as much as he can. Is it okay if I just keep him in the crate for the most part? Of course I'll let him out to feed him and take him out to go potty, but I just feel bad because he's so playful.

Do any of you have any recommendations? I'm sorry this is so long. I'm just so upset that this happened and feel like such a bad mom. I was crying last night and today and my boyfriend thinks I'm crazy. But he's my baby and he's hurt and I feel helpless.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Keeping him docile doesn't mean crating him all the time. Yorkies should be taught never to jump from furniture on or off. We keep steps by all furniture that Joey uses, and he uses the steps to go off the furniture as well. Use a treat in your hand to coax him up and down the steps.

Join today and remove this ad!