View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 12:17 AM   #8
sammiz
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki+2 View Post
Well poo, the video wont play for me- it plays the ad then nothing. How do you tell the age of your tires?
There is a series of four numbers that are unto themselves. Not included with other numbers, I mean. It is at the end of the DOT (Department of Transportation) number. Like 1806 would mean that they were made in the 18th week of 2002. The number 5204 would mean that they were made in the 52nd week of 2004. Sometimes, the tires are mounted in such a way that the numbers are on the inside of the tires and you would have to get under the car to see it.

I have checked mine and they were made in 2002. They are six years old and I just got them last year. My friend's husband expressed concern over my tires having 'stress cracks' in the rubber even though they were farily new when he noticed this. However, they were in fact, five years old at the time of purchase.

They went undercover to determine how many sellers are marketing 'old' tires. The man who sent his son off to Canada with a car he thought was safe. The tires were nine years old but he didn't know. He was told the tires were safe. They were not. Both boys were killed because of the tires. Many others have been killed for the some reason.

Many have asked for an 'age limit' law for tires. There are folks still working on accomplishing this.

Last edited by sammiz; 08-04-2008 at 12:19 AM.
sammiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!