View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
jerryboo
Yorkie Yakker

Default Necrotizing encephalitis of yorkshire Terriers

First off , I want to thank this web-site for the opportunity to reach out to other people with pet needs. It may have saved our little Nikki.

Just as short as I can I want to share what we have been through and what we have learned. Hopefully no one out there will need this information.

Our Nikki is a four year old female. Two years ago she started with just week hips. Doc said maybe from an injury. We had to treat her approx. 6 times over the past two year with a steroid injection. She alway improved never 100%.

Two months ago we took her to get her yearly vaccine. I noticed that night something was wrong. For the next two weeks and several vet visits she had gotten to the point of not walking ( left leg lame ) , her eyesight was getting bad , she was also shaking on and off.

After being treated with steroids for about 4-5 day's we noticed lameness appearing in her left front paw.Our vet suggested an MRI. We live in Louisiana, after trying for a week to find someone to do an MRI , we were desperate. After stumbling onto this site I met a wonderful lady who was experiencing some what of the same problems with her girl. The doctors here suspected GME. No one in Louisiana it seemed, knew very much about this.

Well let me tell you THE UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA know the most about it in the world.We drove to Georgia had an MRI , and a spinal tap. She has been diagnosed with Necrotizing Encephalitis.

They started her on Predisone and setup treatment with the medication Cytosar . Its a chemotherapy drug. Although it doesn't have the same side affects on animals as it does humans.

THANK GOD , THE UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA AND MOST OF ALL CRISSEY'S MOM DEB,AND DAD HERB. If anyone has any question feel free to e-mail me kjb353@aol.com
jerryboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!