View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
linz06
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default Food after tooth extraction

Okay so Layla had one tooth extracted on Wednesday, and the vet tech told me to feed her wet food for about a week, and the paper she gave me says 8-10 days. Layla has allergies to almost everything but I have found she does not show symptoms when she eats fish-based food, so she has been on Orijen 6 Fish.
So yesterday I went to the store and told the girl about the situation and she suggested California Natural salmon and sweet potato. I brought a few cans home and read the label which said "3/4 to 1 1/4 can per day per 15 lbs"... Layla is about 9 lbs, and she was pretty hungry, so I put about 1/2 the can in her bowl and she started eating. About 10 minutes later I came back to check and most of it was still there. She wouldn't eat so I put the rest back in the fridge.
This morning her tummy was grumbling when I fed her breakfast. I gave her about 1/4 of the can and she sniffed it and walked away. Before I left for work she had only eaten about 1/2 of that.
I have zero experience with feeding wet. Would she maybe just get full faster? It does have quite a strong fishy smell that smells up the whole house, and maybe that's a little too much for her? Should I just try mushing up her kibble with water? Should I mix kibble with the wet? Should I take these cans back and try something else that she MIGHT be allergic to? We are leaving today for the long weekend and in the small town we're going to there won't be anywhere to get good food.
I'm at a loss of what to do. Any suggestions?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!