View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 07:25 AM   #12
Wigfur
Forever Athena's Mommy
Donating Member

Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Cute Teddy View Post
You and your daughter are in my thoughts. My brother has Aspergers, which is on the Autism spectrum, and my mom found the website Autism Society of America: helpful. There is also a book (geared mostly towards Aspergers) called A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrom and High-Functioning Autism by Sally Ozonoff, Geraldine Dawson, and James McPartland that has a section on navigating through the special-ed law, so if you are concerned about your district not providing services that might be a good place to read - even if you just stop by a library or barnes and noble to see if any of the info would help! In my state, the school district pays or provides services year-round for any child who has an IEP - my brother is going to a "chat club" this summer, which is really a social skills class. She will do great - it is amazing how well kids do when they get the right diagnosis!
thank you for the info.. I've been on the site for a few days now and it has wonderful info... the Book
A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrom and High-Functioning Autism
was on the list of things the Psychologist told me to get and read for her. I think I've covered with the school. Cyan repeated kindergarten and had the same teacher both years,one that loves her as though she were her own. She was present at the evaluation for Cyan where we learned the Diag. She has said she will take care of the arrangements at the school and make sure that Cyan gets what she needs. She and I worked together both years to get Cyan where she could enter first grade. She will be wonderful,and we will do whatever it takes to help her through. Same dreams for her, same goals just a different path to get to them is all.

Thank you to all that have commented with such support. It took a few days to settle in that this is what was going on. Now we go forward and start the path to get her there.
Wigfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!