View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #15
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beabble View Post
This may sound absurd but, I pay for a vet visit, not a vet tech visit. I'd expect to see & talk to the "vet" not the vet tech. At our vet, the doc is very hands on, he does the taking of the temps, the blood work, the ear swabs, the stitch removal, the injections, all of it (oh no wait, the techs do weigh our furkids, but that's it). In all the years we've been with our vet, it's always been this way, I've only sent he vet techs holds the animals while he performs these procedures. Now as far as the vet techs doing these things so they can learn, I wouldn't mind if they took our furkids temp or swabbed the ears, but anything more than that, I'm sorry, I want the "vet" doing it. I know the techs have to learn somewhere, somehow on some living furkid, I just would rather it not be on ours. I know, that sounds terrible and maybe I'm absurd, but this is just how I feel. Now I'll roll up my sleeve and let a tech take blood from me at a hospital or doctors office no problem, but when it comes to my kids, (skin and fur) sorry, I'm very particular about who does what and I don't have a problem letting any doctor know that.
Nope, not absurd at all.
I totally agree. Thankfully we get more than our fair share of time with the vet. We talk and talk and talk and a lot of times it has nothing to do with Ellie. She is a great vet. I am really starting to see that maybe I should request the techs do less though. I think I will only allow the vet to do blood draws from now on. The jugular thing makes me nervous if someone is just learning. I also don't want people practicing on Ellie. They have to start somewhere, but not with my dog they don't.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!