View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
LaPeque
Senior Yorkie Talker

Sad Worried that intestinal bacterial infection not clearing up

Hi all - I am new to this site and brought home a male Yorkie puppy about two weeks ago. (He is now 12 weeks old).

A day or so after bringing him home, he started to have diarrhea episodes followed by mucus that was tinged with blood. I spoke to the breeder, who suspected it was just due to stress. He was eating and drinking fine, and had a lot of energy so I did not take him to the vet at the time.

A couple days later he suddenly and completely quit eating and drinking, but was still having the diarrhea/blood which had also started to smell unbearably bad. As he had been a little piggy up until that point, I decided something was really wrong and immediately rushed him to the vet.

The fecal diagnostic turned up an intestinal infection (coccidia and giardia), and the vet put him on 7 days of Albon and Metronidazole. Within about 24 hours his stool started to get firmer and the blood and smell decreased, but did reappear sporadically. This is day 7 on the antibiotics, and while his initial bowel movements seem normal, he has started to pass mucus again and the blood has increased from just a "tinge" to what looks like drops of undiluted, fresh blood. I took him to the vet yesterday and he did another fecal culture ... he said to continue the antibiotics (there was nothing in the culture that "alarmed him") and bring puppy back next week.

What worries me is the reappearance and increase in the blood, the mucus, and the fact that his appetite never fully returned to his pre-sickness size. (He pics at his food now, although he is gaining and not losing weight). His energy is fine (my mom affectionately calls him the "Yorkshire Terror") and if it weren't for the icky poop I wouldn't suspect a thing was wrong with him. Should I follow the vets advice, finish the antibiotic and wait this thing out? Or should I take him back and insist that they run more tests? My mother has been remodeling her kitchen and even though I watch him like a hawk, ona couple of occasions he has swallowed small bits of remodel junk that fell to the floor. (Small bits of styrofoam). Could this be contributing to his upset digestive system? Is there a chance that there is some kind of obstruction?

Thank you for your help! I'm probably super paranoid, but my internet research has me fearing the very worst if he even sneezes!
LaPeque is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!