View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
jolisey
Yorkie Talker

Default "Puppy Classes" worth it??

We're thinking of taking our puppy, Sadie, who is 5 months old, for Puppy Classes and I'm wondering what your opinion is of this kind of training? Have you all had good success with these sorts of classes in obedience training? I'm thinking we likely should have started earlier, but we were away so much in the last couple of months (Sadie came along!) that it didn't work out.

What have prices for obedience classes been like in your area? There are very limited classes available in the town where I live, but the ones we've been looking at are around $250 for 9, one hour sessions .... is this high?? I want to get a good start with Sadie, but $250 is not peanuts for us, so I want to make sure I'm not getting taken for a ride.

Lastly, have you had good success with training your dogs to do all the "normal" sorts of doggie things like sit, stay, heel, various tricks, etc., and at aprox what age did they master these? Sadie can sit ..... but that's about it (and only when she darn well feels like it, or when I have a treat for her!) I love my little fluffball dearly, but have to admit that she doesn't seem to pick up on these kind of things as quickly as our Sheltie did (he died 6 yrs ago) .... is this breed quick to pick up on training?? She is not completely housetrained yet either - will play outside for an hour, then come in and head downstairs to the playroom for a poop if I don't watch her!!

I'm interested to hear your comments about all of this!

Wendy-Lee

Last edited by jolisey; 07-27-2008 at 07:59 PM.
jolisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!