View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 06:54 AM   #3
bettyeanne
Donating YT 7000 Club Member

Funny this thread was started today!! Yes, Villette, it can be stopped! Patrick and I took Toto to walk at the park late last evening and there was a lady with two little terriers. One was barking like a maniac and the other wasn't. We stopped to chat and she said the barker was driving her crazy ... the other one had it's "barker" removed! I shared with her how we trained Toto not to bark except when it was OK ... i.e., playing, etc. I am a firm believer that they should be allowed to bark at the appropriate times. I also believe that they should stop when told to. I was very courteous and bit my tongue .... until we got home! I started to tell Pat how I felt about what was done to that poor dog and before I could start my sentence he turned around and said "THAT really pissed me off!" I was shocked! First, because I didn't realize that he too was biting his tongue and second because of his outburst! The poor little thing was "barking" just like the other one but there was nothing coming out of it's little mouth! The lady laughed and said that they still think they are barking, just like before! We just think it's wrong to do that to a dog ... they can be trained not to bark! It's a simple thing to teach them not to bark, or at least it was for Toto. We stopped her in one afternoon! When they do something that you don't like, you simply do something that they don't like! In Toto's case ... she hated hearing you tap on metal ... I simply tapped on the wire part of her crate with a little metal curtain rod and she stopped! It only took maybe a half dozen times and she quit and didn't do it anymore! Now, if she barks when she shouldn't, we simply tell her "No bark". It can be done!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!