View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Connie
Loved by Maddie & Libby
Donating Member

Rich's tribute is on their church website and there is also a guestbook there to write memories. I wrote this morning and when I submitted it, it was too large. I just wanted to share it with you, since I couldn't post it on that site. It's kind of long, but I made it as short as I could, and left lots out.

I loved Rich from the first time I saw him. I used to run over to see Rich on my lunch hours and would sit on the floor and play with him. Judy would say, "You never visit with me anymore...all you do is play with Richie!" Of course, that was all in fun. I remember times that my dear Mom (who is also in heaven now) and I would go to Judy's and Darrel's and Rich would be taking a nap. Judy would tell us we could go in and get him, and when Richie saw us, he would be so excited and happy to see us that he would stand up in his crib and grab ahold of the side and just shake and rattle the crib while jumping up and down, trying to get out to us.

In my younger years, I once had a black truck that was quite a classic. Richie loved that truck and many times would say, "Can we go for a ride in your big, black truck?" Of course, I would take him and we'd go cruis'n. I once had a red Torino and Rich loved that car. Even in his adult life when we'd be together, he'd talk about that Torino and how he had dreamed of owning that car some day. I guess I was known by him as the aunty with the cool vehicles. I was also his favorite aunt and he was also my favorite.

One day on Richie's birthday, Judy called me at work and told me that she had overheard something Richie had said to his friend. He said, "Aunty Connie will be coming with my present and she always gives me such neat presents. I think she's going to bring me a hamster today." I had already bought Richie's present and it wasn't a hamster, so I had to quickly buy him a hamster and a cage. There is a picture of him holding that hamster in the tribute video. After that, when birthdays or holidays came, the pressure was on to live up to my reputation of getting him something really cool.

Richie used to ride his bike all over town...up and down hills and it amazed me how he could pedal that thing up steep hills. Many times he would ride to my house and have to show me his latest trick he had learned and sometimes it was just to visit and spend time with me. He loved to climb our weeping birch tree and there is also a picture of him in that in the tribute.

Whenever the phone would ring and I'd hear Richie's voice, my heart would fill with joy and happiness. He called often, and always made my day. One time the phone rang and I heard a voice that I didn't recognize, so I asked who it was. He said it was Richie. I told him he sounded so different and I didn't even recognize his voice. He said, "Well, I heard my voice on a tape recorder and I didn't like the way it sounded, so I'm trying to make it so it's not so monotone." I laughed so hard and told him his voice is beautiful just as it is and then told him I remember the first time I heard my voice on a tape recorder I vowed I'd never talk again!

I was always so amazed at Richie's drawings. Each one was done with such creativity and imagination and not even the smallest detail was left out. I have a 'keepsake' file that holds drawings and letters from Richie that I will always treasure. I've saved the things he has sent or given me as they were always so precious to me. The only thing I lost track of was a drawing he did of my red torino. I don't know what happened to that.

Oh, how I love him and my heart hurts so bad when I can no longer see him and hug him and listen to his beautiful voice and his great sense of humor. There is so much more I could write, as he was such a special part of my life. He is forever in my heart.

Last edited by Connie; 07-27-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!