View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 08:58 AM   #30
Cookie2
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenyorkies View Post
First of all..relax...Take a deep breath and lets think about this...

You have only had this pup for a week...I would recommend you call your breeder and suggest she take him back for a while...She can see if she can keep him and get him eating again...Once he is stable you could pick him back up...

Low blood sugar will cause a pup to stagger and fall over..If he is just eating protein (chicken) he is not getting enough sugar...Puppies run off their sugar and calories quickly...He is small and he does need to eat every 2-3 hours...Remember he is tiny and has a small stomach so he will probably only eat about a Tablespoon of food or two...Your vet gave you SD canned food to feed which I don't see any added sugar in it..

Ingredients for Science Diet...AD

Water, Pork Liver, Poultry Liver, Chicken, Corn Flour, Pork Protein Isolate, Fish Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Magnesium Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Beta Carotene, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid.

Right now I think you need to get your puppy on a schedule of eating, sleeping and playing....He needs to be kept warm and get enough rest...Do not take him everywhere with you right now...Keep him home, feed him, let him play for about 20 mins and then put him to bed for a nap...Tiny puppies require more rest..

I would not jump the gun and assume he has liver shunt at this point...I also would not have a blood draw done right now...He is stable and you have some time IMO...If you decide to have a blood draw done right now they will have a difficult time getting it from a 1 pound puppy...Their veins are small and their blood supply is also small...I would not do a BA test and would do a hepatic blood panel at the most...The BA test will require twice as much blood and could be done once you get more weight on him and he is a little older...

You can also opt to have a liver ultrasound done and that is far less invasive...

I would suggest the following:

* Give about an inch of Nutri-Cal morning & evening
* Make a bowl of fresh water with a small amount of Karo in it and a bowl of
plain fresh water available at all times...You will eventually be able to omit
the bowl with karo...
* Feed puppy soft food every 2 hours...after several days you should be able
to cut back to 3 hours...
* Limit activity...Make sure he gets rest!

IF he will not eat then you can always syringe feed him the AD....

He needs to eat...If he doesn't eat he will lose weight...He doesn't have much weight to lose!...If he doesn't eat his sugar levels drop and he doesn't have the desire to eat...

I wish you the best with your puppy...Hope this little guy comes around for you!

Extremely well said! I've had this issue before and it's true,if they have no food in their belly theywill be very weak.I kept getting the same advice over and over....Syringe forcefeed .I gave about 1tsp-2tsp every few hrs also.The puppy faught me the whole time.So I used to make a pretty big mess.I felt he would never eat on his own because I was forcing the syringe feedings.I had friends hovering over me while I forcefed and they kept telling asking me why I was doing this to him! Finally I would mix a tiny amount of canned food with water,brought the syringe with me to a bedroom and LOCKED the door. I would sit on the floor with him and feed him. It would take sometimes 30 minutes to feed and my butt and back was killing me from sitting on the floor!
With more weight on him you can deffinately ask for the BAT test. I think everyone agrees that a BAT should be done but the difference is the TIMING and the WEIGHT is a big issue and very,very important. A BAT does require a pretty big amount of blood from such a tiny dog.My dog was about 2 lbs and he had a HUGE bruise in his neck when they gave him back to me.The vet felt terrible and apoligzed but she needed enough blood and it was not so easy to get it from him.PLEASE keep syringe feeding at least 1-2 tsp in a syringe every few hrs. It will be worth it. For me it turned out the be a bonding moment and he ended up being my favorite little guy

Genie
Cookie Lola Angel Lucky
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!