View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 03:35 AM   #1
ecucurlyq77
Yorkie Yakker

Confused warning about grapes!

i don't know if everyone knows this, but grapes are toxic to animals! i didn't know this and found out the hard way! saturday we dropped our 8 month old yorkie, max, off at the grandparents to puppysit for the weekend. before we left i gave him one grape (we were making chicken salad w/ grapes in it and i thougth he might like it). when the grandparents dropped him off at our house yesterday, the said he was very sick all day sunday........slept all day, lethargic, fever, chills, no energy and he finally threw up what looked like just bile, stomach acids and the grape was in it. he still wasn't acting normal when they brought him home. i looked up online and found out that grapes are toxic to animals! needless to say, i freaked out and called the animal poison control center. they said grapes are toxic to animals and can cause acute kidney failure. they advised that since he is a small dog, even though he only ate one grape, that he needed to go to the emergency vet (our vet was closed) and get blood work done to check his kidneys. so we spend 2 hours there and luckily his kidney bloodwork came back normal...what a relief! well this morning he is still not acting normal....all he has done is lay around with a very sad look on his face and he still won't eat or drink! he's had a few sips of water since saturday but won't eat anything. so, i am going to take him to the vet when they open this morning b/c i'm afraid he's going to get dehydrated.

i just wanted to make sure everyone knew that grapes & raisins can be toxic to animals. does anyone know where i can find a list of everything dogs shouldn't eat?

brooke & "max"
ecucurlyq77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!