View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
MomGadget
Yorkie Talker

Default Survived Parvo and now possible liver shunt - Seeking Advice

A couple of weeks ago, I posted that my Molly, just under 7-months-old, was coming down ill following vaccinations. Two days later to be exact. Since that time, I've had to rechecked - suspected delayed reaction to vaccinations.

Ok, I can deal with that - babied her - kept giving her water with a syringe and feeding her rice and cottage cheese.

Next week she began having tremors, sleeping a lot, eating less and walking like she might be constipated. Wondered if she were cold, increased temp in the house, put her hoodie on her to wear - continued to keep her hydrated and eating.

Next week I left for an appointment, she seemed very weak, but resting. Gave her water, Nutri-Cal and went to appointment. Came home she was in terrible shape. Wasn't moving, couldn't lift her head. It was after hours so I took her to the ER vet that treated her for Parvo in June with great success.

This vet felt around on her, checked her sugar - which was good. Temp good but her neck hurt her to where she yelped when the vet pushed on it.

Vet suspected 1. Blown disks in her spine or 2. Encephalitis associated with the vaccinations she'd received. However, they said the only way to be sure was to have 1. a CT scan - 2. an x-ray and 3. a spinal tap. All of which could result in about $1200 in fees and that's JUST to get the diagnosis. Surgeries to treat either condition would have been $4,000 +.

I asked if they had some meds that would make her a little more comfortable until I could figure out what we should do.

To be honest, I didn't feel comfortable with that diagnosis and wanted to see our regular vet who had about 50 years experience on the ER vet.

That's what I did.

Saw regular vet today - based on all I've been reading and what I see in Molly, it appears as though she has liver shunt. Classic textbook case at that.

We will get the test results back on Monday - however, I'm wondering what kind of diet I can look at feeding her to keep the protein down so I'm not contributing more to the ill cause than treatment.

What is a good diet for dogs who have liver shunt or MVD? Any advice?

Also, IF it results in her having to have surgery - our vet recommends Purdue University as our closest option. Anyone familiar with the surgical treatments there and the recovery rates?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!