View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 11:06 AM   #17
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFairLacy View Post
I'm really confused why some of you would recommend a Blood Panel over a Bile Acid Test Both involve a blood draw...one is not any riskier than the other, and honestly, the risk of complications from a blood draw is very low. A blood draw is a common, routine procedure and the amount of blood they need for a blood panel or BAT is small.

Someone said if the breeder doesn't think he has a shunt don't test...please don't only trust your breeder. I know first hand that breeders will lie about having liver shunt problems in the past. If you and your vet think liver shunt is a posibility from the symptoms he is exhibiting, get that baby tested. The sooner he is tested, the sooner he can be treated if it is a shunt. Otherwise he will only get sicker.

A blood draw is a blood draw no matter what test you do on it afterwards. It makes no sense to say one is safer than the other.

A routine CBC often won't detect a problem with the liver until it is 70% damaged. I know of two Maltese puppies on another forum who had a bloodpanel which was completely normal and a bile acid test that revealed MVD.

If you suspect a liver shunt, the only accurate way to diagnose is first with a BAT, then a Protein C test, and possibly scintigraphy.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!