View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
broodizt
YT 500 Club Member

Smile Should I be worried?

Okay fellow yorkie lovers,

This is about the 3rd or 4th time I have posted this question in different forms on this forum. I hope I 'm not becoming a nuisance (LOL).

My baby girl Cassie is about 2lbs and she loves to eat. I first adopted her at 11 months old in April of 2008. Since then I have switched her from her regular dog food that the breeder was giving her, (puppychow) to several premium dog foods and then to home feeding through the information and support of several wonderful Yorkie Talkers.

My forever problem is, that she will not take any supplements at all with her food. I have spent hundreds of dollars on supplements which are now sitting in the closet on my shelf unused because she refuses to eat the food once I add the supplement. Just to make it clear I have tried everything, adding the supplement a grain at a time, giving it with peanut butter, mixing it in with other treats like cheese, etc. etc. etc. etc. She will not eat if the supplement has been added and she is too little to let her go without food for too long.

Anyway, frustrated as heck, I went to a natural foods store with many health items for pets, and dogs especially. The woman who runs the place is very well respected by my Vet who told me to go there to get the supplements and talk to this lady. This woman does raw feeding with her own dogs and I am told they are magnificent animals and she knows what she is doing. When I explained my situation to her, she told me not to bother with or worry about supplements, as Cassie is on a healthy diet and is probably getting all the vitamins and supplements she needs from the food I give her. I was so relieved, I cannot tell you, because I don't want to fight with my baby anymore and cause her stress.

Still, I worry. Do you think it is okay not to feed supplements? Is this woman right? She does get a healthy diet, but I want to make sure she is not being harmed by not getting supplements. Some of the things I feed her on her diet: Ground beef, lamb, chicken, or sometimes but seldom salmon. Broccoli almost every day, sometimes cauliflower, cottege cheese, eggs, american cheese (about 1/4 to 1/2 slice at a time), carrots, fruit such as bannana's plums, cantaloupe, peaches, apples, sometimes brown rice, chicken soup low sodium, corn oil or olive oil for her coat, oatmeal, etc.
So anyway, you get the idea.

I am not now feeding any supplements. I don't want to struggle with her anymore. Should I be worried? I need some reassurance here.

If you guys feel I absolutely HAVE to feed her supplements, does anyone know of a really GOOD TASTING vitamin mineral supplement that I could give her that she would think was a treat? Something made flavorful for dogs, kind of like the Flintstones for kids vitamins? I know it would not be like the Balance-It vitamins I bought for her and which is now sitting on my shelf unused, but it would be something. Please help. I am really getting stressed about this. I don't want her getting sick or some awful disease because of lack of good nutrition. I so hope this lady from the Health Food store is right. Any and all answers are greatly appreceiated. Thank you all so much for your time and caring. Shellie and cassie
broodizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!