View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
lulababy
bam and pebbles mommy
Donating Member

Unhappy puppy not eating or drinking enough

I am having a problem. Bam bam is 13 weeks and 1 pound 2 ounces (has lost two ounces since i got him). I have had him since last friday. He is very tiny. I had to rush him to the vet on tuesday because he would not eat or drink all morning and it was 3pm and he was shaking uncontrolably. I had given him karo a hour before, and then nutra-cal. After 30 minutes and he didnt respond to the sugar intake the vet said to bring him in right away. By the time we got there he had stopped shaking. And the vet tested his blood sugar and it was fine. He said probably due to the nutra-cal. He was dehydrated though (had to have 30cc's of water put into his sides--he looked like a camel). He will not drink water if offered and I rarely see him drink water. Only about 3 times while hes been here--but he is peeing though so thats a good sign i guess? The vet cant tell why he wont eat. He said he doesnt think he has liver shunt because he looks to healthy and robust and liver shunt babies are normally skinnier. I had gone the previous friday to the vet because he wasnt eating and they gave me a special food to feed him. It worked for a day and a half, but then he even stopped eating that. He has been on nutracal every 2 hours for the past few days..and I offered him food a little after that to see if he will eat, but he only eats once in a while. In general he wont eat when I offer him and i always have food out. Today I gave him some chicken and he ate it three times today when i took him to his food area (a first!) but I dont think chicken by itself is a well rounded meal. I am feeding him 5 star food btw and have tried a few--hard and soft. I am just... at this point... very tired from lack of sleep and around the clock watchings... and hoping someone will tell me this is somehow normal and he will get better eventually. I would hate to have to deal with another hypo attack and he cant live off nutra-cal forever. I am probably going to take him in next week again if he doesnt improve. They said if I had to bring him in again they will have to do a full bloodworkup--even though it is painful for them when they are this small

Last edited by lulababy; 07-24-2008 at 10:08 PM.
lulababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!