Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHIE View Post
I have never heard that before.
I would recommend Minksheen. It has a natural flea/tick repellant already
in it as well as conditioner. I have been using it on Buddy for about 1 1/2
yrs. I also use Cranberry Fields shampoo & conditioner and PetSilk.,
I alternate. All work great on a silky coat. There was a very large thread
sometime ago regarding Minksheen. Most really liked it, I think they were
the one's who had a silky coated Yorkie. It smells pretty good.
I have started to use Frontline every 6wks instead of once a month.
I have found nothing on Buddy to date. I am truly getting concerned
with all the shots and meds going into him. I wait 3days before shampooing
him after applying Frontline. I have had no problems with fleas/ticks to date.
I did find one buried in Buddy last year and called Frontline. They mentioned
that this product does not cover all ticks!
What?? No way!

I also asked someone who makes soap for a living yesterday what a "soap free" shampoo would be and how to know from an ingredient list.

Here is her response....
"Natural" soap products (like cold process soaps, or liquid soaps made from oils and an alkaline substance, like lye or potassium hydroxide) are a pretty high pH, and while they clean and condition human skin pretty well, I have read much discussion on how appropriate they are for a dog's skin. Too high pH can just dry skin out.

Synthetic cleansers, while not "natural" can often be gentler because they are of a neutral pH.

"soap-free" makes me think of synthetic detergents. Most commercial shampoos (dog and human) are made with various detergents, of varying gentleness.

If you read the back of the bottle, and you're looking for "soap free", you want to avoid words like "Sodium Cocoate", "Sodium Tallowate" - the "Sodium ______ate" ingredients are organic oils that have reacted with an alkali, and are considered "soap"

I found this shampoo, supposedly it is "tested" with Frontline and works:

Allergroom Shampoo (8oz) by VIRBAC

The ingredients are: Water, TEA lauryl sulfate, lauramide DEA, Spherulites, urea, glycerine, imidazolidinyl urea, diazolidinyl urea, fragrance, chitosanide, and lactic acid.

That TEA Lauryl Sulfate and Lauramide DEA are your cleansing agents. Not soap, but they foam and clean. So maybe you're looking for something like that, or with similar ingredients..
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!