View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
Cookie2
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

My vet suggested 1/2 tablet of Baby Tums twice a day for extra calcium. Plus I made her Post Whelp pudding. It has LOTS of calcium too. I use to give it to mom with a syringe at first. She only used to have about 3-4 tsp at first then by the 4th or 5th day she was licking a 4 oz bowl ,twice a day! Plus I give her canned puppy food twice a day also. Lola had produced LOTS of milk. In fact Ihad to express some milk because she was engorged with milk and she only had 1 puppy sucking.
I would supplement your puppy with an eye dropper,be careful and make sure you hold him at a 45 degree angle so he doesnt aspirate the milk ...you might be aware if you see milk coming out of his nose..
Try the pudding recipe. Just do a search here for Post Whelp Pudding.

I know it has 1 can of evaporated milk,Corn syrup,vanilla yogurt ,egg yolk and 1 pkg of plain KNOX gellatin. The exact measurements ,are in the recipe thread somewhere in YT. A 2 oz gain for a whole week seems very little to me.Even though I'm not an expert breeder but have read and been told that puppies usually gain close to 1 oz + per day.

I am a worrier too so dont feel bad. We just care too much. I lost two puppies and that just makes us more careful with the surviving puppy/ies

Genie
Cookie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!